analytics

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Beer steamed Brats

I had some pretty stupendous bratwurst last weekend, but some skunked New Grits beer prevented the full beer-in-brat experience. It was pretty important that this be rectified. Strolling down the isles a the grocery store, this new line of 'wursts proudly proclaimed to be "gluten free" and I knew the time was right.

Side dishes are almost as important as the brat itself - they need to compliment the meat without overpowering it. Pretty tough feat considering how essential spicy mustard is! For some reason, I really got excited about radishes and thought that a carrot-apple-radish salad could work.

Step 1 - steam brats in beer
Since they came fully cooked, I sliced a medium onion, added it to a hot pan with a tablespoon of oil and cooked the onion till it caramelized.
I then added in the brats and enough gf beer to come up half way on the brats, then covered and reduced the heat to a simmer.

Step 2 - salad
I shredded 8+ baby carrots (on a box grater)
Diced one apple.
Sliced 3 radishes into thin rounds.
I added a good pinch of sea salt and a splash of apple cider vinegar and olive oil.

Step 3 - condiments
Spicy mustard (dijion is what I had, but I really wished I had found a good stone ground)
Sauerkraut. I am a big fan of Real Pickles brand of sauerkraut.

Step 4 - pour remaining beer into fun glass



Verdict - There was a lot of sour on the plate. I could have mixed the salad in with the kraut and probably would have worked out fine. The brat was mild and had a really great texture. The onions were crucial, but I probably would cut them smaller next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment