analytics

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Coconut Cake, take 2

After the first attempt turning out less than perfect, I tried out the following adaptation.

Coconut Cake

4oz. (1 stick of butter)
1 cup sugar [decrease]
1 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch
1/3 cup sweet rice flour
1 tsp baking powder [increase]
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/3 cup coconut milk *full fat*
6 egg whites [increase]

325F oven for 40 minutes

1. Creamed the butter, then added sugar and creamed both till light and fluffy.
2. Alternated adding in the wet (coconut milk) and the dry (coconut flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, rice flour, baking powder, kosher salt all pre-mixed together) into the butter and sugar.
3. In a separate bowl, whipped the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
4. Fold in egg whites.
5. Bake in a greased pan at 325 degrees F for 40 minutes.

Verdict: Batter much easier to work; it did not seize up like the first one.

Frosting
I followed Alton Brown's 7 minute frosting (following all steps this time - with coconut water not coconut milk) and it turned out shiny and beautiful. The only problem was that it was raining out and very humid and I think it is what cause the frosting to ooze and start to fall off the cake during transport.

Honestly, I liked my "mistake" icing a lot more than the meringue frosting which tasted a lot like coconut flavored marshmallow Fluff. (I love Fluff, don't get me wrong, I just didn't want it on the cake.)

The cake was consumed and enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment