analytics

Monday, March 9, 2009

Eggplant & Chick Peas

I am not really sure what to call this concoction other than "lunch" because its not really a curry or a traditional recipe of sorts. Its more of a this-is-what-I-have-in-the-house-that-will-feed-me-for-days-and-cheaply.
I had a lone eggplant that I bought last week with the greatest intentions of turning it into baba ganoush. I have really been in the mood for chick peas, so I thought that I would use up the extra stock I had in the fridge and came up with the following:

Eggplant & Chick Peas
2 tbps oil
1 small onion diced
1 carrot diced
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
4 cardamom pods
1 eggplant diced
1 can of whole, peeled tomatoes & the juice
4 cloves sliced garlic
1 potato diced
2-3 cups of stock or broth (I used chicken, but veg would be fine here as well)
1 can of whole chick peas, drained and rinsed
Salt to taste

1. In a large sauce pan or stock pot heat the oil an onions over medium high heat until brown.
2. Add the carrots and spice, stir to coat.
3. Add and brown the eggplant. (If it sticks you can add more oil or jump to #4)
4. Add the tomatoes, garlic, potato and enough stock or broth to cover the veggies.
5. Bring to a boil then simmer till the potato is fork tender.
6. Add in the chick peas and salt.
7. Serve over rice.
Or...
Take the leftover to work as soup:

This turned out really well, but I would add some coriander next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment