After the Fluff Festival last month I got the insatiable craving for Rice Krispie Treats. Traditional Rice Krispies contain barley malt and while I do really like Erewhon's Twice Rice and Crispy Brown Rice with Mixed Berries cereals, I got inspired when I saw Puffed Millet at the store. They are puffed and way cheaper than the rice cereals so I thought I would give it a go.
Working off of the standard Rice Krispie Treat recipe, I browned the butter and added pecans and dried tart cherries for extra flavor. The resulting treat tasted good, but the texture was a little off. The millet is puffed, but not coated in any sugar or malt so it had a softer more Styrofoam feel rather than a satisfying crunch. For all the feed back the lack of crunch, at the end of the night, there were none left.
4 tbsp butter
1 cup pecan pieces
1 10oz. bag marshmallows
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup dried cherries
4 cups puffed millet
aluminum foil or wax paper
1. In a large pot melt the butter.
2. Once it begins to brown, throw in the pecans.
3. Just when the pecans begin to become fragrant, add in the marshmallows and stir. (If you are aren't using a silicon spatula here, its a good idea to spray your wooden spoon with veggie spray to help keep the marshmallow from sticking)
4. Once the marshmallows are almost completely melted, stir in the vanilla extract, then stir in the cherries and millet.
5. Spread the mixture into a well greased baking pan/dish (or onto greased foil if you are lacking appropriate cookware) and allow to cool fully before cutting.
I cut these puppies on the bias (hard to tell here) so they were small 2-bite diamond shapes.