analytics

Monday, January 11, 2010

French Onion Dip

Its not fair to call this a recipe just yet, but an impromptu desire for chips and dip spurred me to attempt to make a gluten free version of french onion dip this weekend. French onion dip - the kind made with a packet of Knorr soup mix and a tub of sour cream - is the food of my youth. Birthday parties, holidays, any time people were invited over the house, there was dip. (My hands-down favorite was the Leek flavor, but that is another project.)

I started out by caramelizing 2 onions in a pan with some canola oil. I let it go long and slow, till they were all soft and medium brown. Then I threw in 1 clove of chopped garlic and sauteed it around till it started becoming fragrant. I turned the heat up and added in wheat free tamari and Worcestershire sauce (how much, I don't know, several glugs - see my need to make this again and measure). The sauces were jumping around the pan and evaporating way too quickly, so I threw in a 1/3 cup of water and allowed the entire thing to simmer until almost all of the liquid was evaporated. I then removed the mixture from the pan, and allowed it to cool for about 30 minutes in the fridge. Then I stirred it into a half tub of sour cream and PRESTO CHANGO - DIP!

It was as good as any French Onion Dip I had ever had! The flavor could have been a little more intense, more salt and garlic is needed. That aside it was devoured with the help of some Cape Cod Potato Chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment