analytics

Monday, April 19, 2010

Organic : what matters

Organic has gone past buzz-word status and now resides in the same bin as "natural" or "local". These words don't really have a universal definition, and even when they do, (like the USDA's definition of organic), its complicated, ever changing, and rarely what you think it means. There are times where I throw my metaphorical shopping arms up in the air and feel as though I am never going to actually know where all of my food comes from, how its grown, processed, handled and if it is having an impact. There is also the fact that avoiding all gluten means giving up a lot, and gosh darn it sometimes I don't feel like having any more restrictions.

But then I am reminded that it doesn't have to be all or nothing, choosing organic items with the most impact does matter, and it can be done on a budget. These suggestion are pretty basic, but its nice to be reminded every once in a while that buying in bulk, seasonally, and supporting local farmers and businesses does have in impact on not only my food choices, but on the availability of food in my community too.

No comments:

Post a Comment