Sometimes great ideas happen because of an expected set of events converge. Gluten free rice krisipies go on sale. A friend comes to town. One has less than half a jar of Nuttella remaining.
I am not the first to come up with this idea, but I will say that I fancy myself a genius for adding in hazelnuts. I think it makes them extra crunchy, and since the bar mix is a bit softer from the added fat in the nutella, the nuts provide a nice contrast.
gluten free nutella rice krisipie treats
6 tablespoons of butter (use 4 if you want the more standard rice krispie bar harder crunch)
1 bag of marshmallows
1 cup of nutella
5 cups of gluten free rice cereal (I used Erewhon)
1 cup of roasted hazelnuts roughly chopped
2 pinches of kosher salt (option, but really makes this more awesome)
parchment paper or cooking spray
1. In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter.
2. Roll the butter around the bowl and up the sides - this will help with clean up later.
3. Add in the marshmallows and melt them in the microwave, stopping and stirring with a rubber scraper every 30 seconds.
4. Once the marshmallows are melted and fully incorporated with the butter, add in the nutella. You want to stir this in and make it one with the marshmallow/butter mixture. You will need to microwave it once or twice for 10-20 seconds to keep the mixture warm and smooth.
5. Add in the cereal and nuts and stir, stir, STIR. (You might need to reheat the mixture for 10 seconds to keep it going. Really stir, cover all the bits with delicous molten goo)
6. Pour mixture out onto a well greased or parchment(better) lined pan. With the scraper spread mixture out till it is less than 1" thick. (If you put another piece of parchment paper on top, you can push the mixture out with your hands or something heavy like a smaller pan.)
7. Allow the treats to cool before cutting.
8. Bring to the beach and enjoy.