Apple Cardamom Muffins
1 1/4 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup sweet rice flour
3/4 cup potato starch
1/2 cup almond meal
1-2 tsp flax seed meal (optional)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cardamom (more would be nice)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups chopped apples
1. Combine the dry ingredients, mix well, set aside.
2. Cream the butter and sugars.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time. Make sure each is well incorporated before adding the next one.
4. Alternate adding the dry ingredients into the mixture with the almond milk and vanilla - three additions is fine. Make sure to scrape down the bowl between each addition.
5. Fold in the apples.
6. Portion out into lined muffin tins.
7. Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. (Its a good idea to rotate the pans half way through baking if your oven heats unevenly. Lets face it, most do.)
These were good. The texture is light, the apples did not break down and are a nice sweet burst. The cardamom is pretty light, but I was afraid of overwhelming the muffin. Next time I will double it, or sub in 1 tsp of cinnamon.