analytics

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Cranberry Sauce & A Pink Apple

There is a chill in the air and the first cranberries of the season are popping up at farmers markets and grocery stores. I couldn't pass up $2.59 a pound, so I grabbed a bag and made a quick sauce.

1 pound whole, fresh cranberries washed
1/4 cup of apple cider
sugar to taste

Place all in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer till most of the cranberries have popped open. Allow to cool and eat.


Normally I use orange juice instead of cider and throw in some orange zest at the end, but the oranges didn't look so hot at the grocery store and I had some cider around and use it. I don't think its noticeable, but it tasted good!


I also found this apple while shopping:

It is a Pink Surprise and when you cut it open, it reveals pink and white flesh!





It tastes like a sweet apple, not very tart, and has a bit of a pear taste mixed in.

Heirloom apples are so fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment