analytics

Friday, February 6, 2009

Stone Hearth Pizza

I have said it before, but I will say it again, and again and again...
I LOVE PIZZA!

Last week a friend mentioned that the Stone Hearth Pizza in Cambridge had a sign in the window about a new gluten free menu options. Another opportunity for gluten free pizza?! I was ecstatic.

I went last night with two gluten-eating dinner companions who were up for the challenge of dining gluten free. We ordered the antipasti (flatbread crisps on the side), Homemade Sausage & Caramelized Onions gluten free pizza, the Prosciutto & Pineapple gluten free pizza, and the Meatball Lovers gluten free pasta.

Prior to ordering I was really impressed by the waitstaff. I asked how the gluten free pasta options came and when she said she did not know the ingredients for the gluten free pasta, she went out back and brought the bag of Tinkyada to our table for me to look at. She also informed us that all of there pizzas, not just the 4 indicated on the menu, were available gluten free. I cannot tell you how giddy I was that there were more things that were options for me than not on the menu. It was so exciting! They even carry gluten free beer (Bard's) but I passed in order to have more stomach room for pizza.

The antipasti was nice, a few slices of prosciutto, really fresh mozzarella, marinated olives, red and yellow bell peppers, and marinated artichoke hearts, a nice spread. The prosciutto and pineapple pizza slightly upstaged the homemade sausage and caramelized onions. The crust was thin, crisp and held together, but needed more salt, which is why I think the saltiness of the prosciutto made it the table winner. The house made meatballs were a bit overcooked and rubbery, but the fresh basil throughout the baked fusilli with ricotta, tomato sauce, topped with bubbly mozzerella cheese was delicious. Again, this dish needed a sprinkling of salt as well, but the pasta really held its shape - a rarity with rice pasta. Too full for the dessert menu, although I was very very tempted by the idea of gelato, my first experience at the Stone Hearth Pizza will by no means be my last.

***
I am typing away and eating the leftover now. I am shocked at how well they pasta held up to reheating - in the toaster oven, not microwave - with the addition of a few pinches of salt, it has to be one of the best lunches I have had in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment