analytics

Friday, November 11, 2011

Pumpkin breakfast muffins

Its moving from smoothie to decidedly not-smoothie-for-breakfast weather and I have started up my quest for more interesting breakfast options. I have been throwing beets and carrots into breakfast bars, breads, and loafs as a way of upping the fiber and adding a little sweetness - not to mention terrifyingly awesome hues to my morning snack.

This batch was a little hodge-podgey. The batter was looking rather dry, so I added some applesauce last minute. It helped with the flavor and texture, but the final muffins took a long time to bake - though their centers remained very moist.

Pumpkin breakfast muffins

The wet team
3/4 cup water
3 tbsp psyllium husk (you could use flax seed meal if you like)
3/4 cup oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup dates chopped
1 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup maple syrup

The dry team
1 cup almond meal
1 cup millet flour
1 cup brown rice flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp mace
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp coriander

The stir-ins
2 cups chopped fruits & veggies (beets, apples, oranges, cranberries)
1/2 nuts/seeds + 1/4 cup for topping the muffins (pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds)

1. Combine the wet ingredients and mix well.
2. Slowly add in the dry ingredient in batches, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
3. With the mixer off, stir in the fruit and nuts.
4. Dish into muffin tins and top with additional nuts.
5. Bake at 350F for 45-1 hour.
6. Enjoy your super high fiber muffins that don't taste like cardboard!

4 comments:

  1. I am delighted to see this muffin recipe! I am always looking for breakfasts with spirit and substance.

    Now, I have half a pumpkin and half a mind to turn it into muffins, but this recipe does not seem to specifically call for pumpkin -- would I add it in with the chopped fruit/veg?

    Thank you again for sharing your recipes with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the pumpkin works like the applesauce here - keeping things bound together and moist. So you could easily sub in/out another fruit sauce or puree, or moist grated fruit/veg - zucchini would be killer, or carrots - or BOTH.

    These deflated a bit, but they are pretty great tasting. I think I would add more flours/meals next time to help them hold their shape a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these muffins and they were delightful. My flour blend was rice, soy, potato starch and gf pancake mix. I am definitely not a flour-blend expert; this was just what was on hand, and it was too dry. The fruit was apricots, apples, oranges and carrots. They were a bit soggy in the middle, but I don't care. The apricot was the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made a version with bananas and cranberries. The middles were a bit wet, but they were cooked through. Still need some work, but I am glad you made them and thought they were good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete