analytics

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

gluten free buttermilk rolls - a look inside my brain

Ever wondered how I test out a new recipe? Here is a rough draft of how most of my blog posts start. I usually keep a running list of notes that I go back to and edit. Here is what a start looks like:

This developed as an afterthought. I made buttermilk biscuits and had a bunch of extra buttermilk. I wanted to do try to do something that could be a hamburger bun and/or cinnamon roll dough. I am going to call this a working success (?). The dough held up well baking as buns and didn't disintegrate when a delicious burger was thrown in the middle. The texture was a little more dense than a traditional bun, but substantially better than any gf packaged version I have tried. (I have actually gotten in the habit of making half-size burgers for gf buns to sort of work. If the bread ratio is much larger I have had better luck of them not completely disintegrating. That said, it is a horrible ratio for actual burger enjoyment.) I am pretty stoked at this test batch.

[PIC - pull from twitter]

buttermilk rolls - good but not perfect recipe
(tag - recipe, veg, ?)
Try half batch, maybe add an egg too?

2 eggs
3 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup canola oil (need to up - maybe refer to brioche recipe? dough is ok but a little dry for cin buns)
1 tbsp instant yeast
2 cups millet flour
2 cups corn starch
2 cups arrowroot starch
1 cup potato starch
1 cup tapioca starch
1 cup white rice flour
1 tbsp xanthan gum

Mix, proof. Add 1 tbsp salt. (recipe needs more salt)
Dish out and proof again. [PIC - talk about how sticky]
Bake at 375F for 12-20 minutes or until golden brown on top, and just beyond golden brown on bottom
[PIC with cut, show crumb is smaller than previous, what is it good for]

You can see that I talk to myself in drafts - a lot. I find it really helpful especially when I am working from scraps of paper and on more than one computer, the blog "save" format becomes a log of ideas - I have over 100 posts that I never published that mostly look like this. 

What happens next - I usually wait till I have another half-used bottle of buttermilk and then I will look up this draft and play around with the recipe and type the second attempt below the first, add notes, and then hopefully have a final product that I am proud of sharing!

How do you test recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment