analytics

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

New iPhone app & a really good meal

I received this press release yesterday about a new iPhone app:
“My Grocery Master” App Features:
  • Database of over 100,000 products for Kosher, gluten-free and lactose-free diets
  • Over 360 name brands
  • Future updates to include searches for Vegan, Organic and diabetic suitable diets
  • Search by category, brand of product name
  • Frequent, FREE updates with new products and brands
  • Includes most Top 100 grocery store chains in the country and the leading online grocery stores
  • One-touch link to the “My Grocery Master” website providing recipes and more information
  • No connectivity required unless you utilize the one-touch website links
  • Save searches for easy future access (such as”Beach House”, “Grandma’s Condo”, etc.
  • Driving directions to store included
  • A low annual $4.99 fee
 “My Grocery Master” is available at the Apple’s App Store in the iPhone and iPod Touch.
 For more information please visit: www.mygrocerymaster.com

I don't have an iPhone, so I have no idea how jazzy this thing is. That said, it sort of gets my goat that people need to pay for information that should be available for free, clearly labeled and accessible from more than one place. One should not have to be able to afford (or choose to) own an iPhone to be able to find food that is safe. My Grocery Master is clearly fulfilling a need/demand and its great that they are, I just still think this information should be ON THE PACKAGING.

In other news, I had another meal at Highland Kitchen, noshing off their Gluten-Free Menu (ask for it from your server, they keep them in the back) and I was really impressed. Two weeks ago I had fantastic blackened catfish, last night I chowed down on the scallop appetizer special with pancetta, shaved fennel, blood oranges over a white bean puree. I wanted a hint more of acid, but it was a generous and delicious appetizer. The fried confit chicken wings with celery root slaw were perfect. Sweet, spicy, crunchy and a little tangy - some of the best wings I have had in a long time. (I was indoctrinated with Wings of Amherst and my love lead me to my first published piece of food writing in the Globe, I like wings, a lot.) The celery root slaw was sort of a distraction. It wasn't crunchy - understandably celery root is not known for its crispness - and it just didn't do anything for me. Honestly, I didn't much care. The wings were that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment