analytics

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Putting a twist on Bob's Red Mills Pizza Crust

A really great friend gave me a few of Bob's Red Mills products for my birthday. The cold, rainy weather seemed just the reason to make some pizza. I followed the directions to the T, and the pizza turned out ok, the crust needed salt and had no puff to it. I had a baseball sized blob if it remaining, so I threw it in the fridge. The next day it struck me that perhaps garlic bread could work! I pulled out the dough, shaped it into an 8"x8" pan and let it warm up and proof.
I mixed some olive oil, 2 cloves of minced garlic and a few pinches of rosemary and sea salt together. I heated them up in the microwave until the garlic began to become translucent (ok, not really see through, but not completely opaque.)
The bread took a long time to proof. Several hours. But once it doubled in size, I topped it with the garlic and olive oil mixture - garlic has anit-fungal properties and kills yeast and retards growth, so I waited till the last minute. I baked it at 450F for about 10 minutes and tadahhhhhh!

It tasted a lot better than the pizza did. The dough was a little crispy on the edges and tasted more like pretzel dough than bread or pizza. (The fact that I over salted it didn't hurt this at all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment