analytics

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Chex Mix: A new take on an old favorite


I have a problem with following directions and buying ingredients that I probably will not use for anything else. Cue me futzing with the Original Chex Mix Recipe and coming up with something new.

Gluten Free Chex Mix
3 cups Rice Chex
3 cups Corn Chex
3 tbsp butter (or margarine if you need it dairy-free)
2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce (FYI some types contain anchovies, L&P does)
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
dashes of cayenne pepper

1. Place the butter, sauce and seasonings in a microwaveable bowl. Heat over medium till everything is melted.
2. Add in the cereal, stirring well to coat.
3. Cook the mixture on High for 5 minutes, stirring every 1-2 minutes. *
4. Cool the mixture on a cookie sheet and store in air tight container.
*I found that the microwave I used this was way way way too much time and the Chex started burning. Keep an eye on the little guys.

So I unintentionally used much more Worcestershire than expected, but since I wasn't using the Seasoned Salt, I thought it would be ok. It turned out really well.

(A more realistic visualization of my munching demands.)

Things that would make this better: Gluten Free Pretzels

No comments:

Post a Comment