analytics

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Spicy Coconut Beef

More of a what-is-there-left-in-the-pantry/freezer thing than a recipe, but here goes. I was craving something spicy and I have a few packages of CSA beef left over and I was in the middle of attempting to make homemade coconut yogurt, so coconut beef seemed like a great idea.

I marinated the beef in 2 small sliced onions, 2 sliced key limes, 3 cloves of garlic sliced, 1/4 cup wheat free tamari, and 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce.




Ginger, Alleppo, turmeric, allspice, cayenne, cumin seed, cinnamon, coriander, celery seed all went into the pot. I started out with a 1/4 tsp of each and then added a bunch more coriander, cumin and turmeric into the mix. And then I added in a half a cup of coconut milk and several pinches of kosher salt.


Everything marinated for 2 hours. I then I seared off the beef in a hot cast iron skillet.


Then in went the marinaded. It cooked down until the onion and garlic were soft and the sauce had reduced in half.

The beef joined the pan and everything was brought to a simmer.


I served it up over just steamed green beans.
Overall, it was really good, spicier than I expected, but in a good way. Next time I would add a teaspoon of fish sauce and a few pinches of sugar to play up the Thai flavor a bit more, but it was really good and great the next day for lunch too!

No comments:

Post a Comment